In Central Washington, experiencing the outdoors is in our nature. We are committed to inspiring your love and appreciation for the natural world, but we also aim to help you protect and care for it, as well as stay safe as you explore it. We’re happy to help you discover your passion for the wilderness, learn how to navigate it safely, improve your on-trail experience, and lessen your impact on the places you love for adventurers of the present and future. This blog will teach you about crossing water carefully.
Cross Water Carefully
Central Washington’s natural lands are scattered with crystal lakes and rushing rivers that can be thrilling to explore. When hiking alongside a river, creek, or stream, keep in mind that water is powerful, even in seemingly calmer sections. Always exercise caution when in and around water sources and cross water carefully. Here are a few key points to remember when hiking or backpacking:
- Always unhook backpack straps before getting near a water source. That way if you fall into the water, your pack won’t weigh you down.
- Avoid injury by wearing proper footwear when crossing. Carry water shoes when you know water crossings are inevitable.
- Avoid water that is higher than your knees. Deep water makes it easier to lose your balance or be swept off your feet.
- Logs, rocks, and other materials near water can be slick, test their stability before moving. Using a hiking pole or a single foot will help you determine if your next step will be stable.
- When crossing, face upstream to pinpoint where faster currents are flowing.
- Play it safe. If you don’t feel comfortable crossing a water source, turn around! There’s no shame in ending your hike early if you feel uneasy about the undertaking.
With these outdoor tips in mind, you’ll be good to go with the flow during your next hike in Central Washington!
Explore travel tips and itinerary ideas. Trail Etiquette Here in Central Washington, experiencing the outdoors is in our nature. Whether you’re riding the slopes of
8 Magical Moments From Snoqualmie Pass to Ellensburg
Explore travel tips and itinerary ideas. 8 Magical Moments From Snoqualmie Pass to Kittitas Everyone is looking for that magical moment that will make a
Top 22 Social Media Posts of 2022
Explore travel tips and itinerary ideas. Top 22 Social Media Posts of 2022 Oh, sweet memories! Social media is the perfect treasure trove of days