A long and sunny season fit for growth makes Central Washington a truly beautiful and productive region to work and live! Evidence shows from the abundancy of ranches and farms that divide our county into a fun patchwork quilt pattern.
There are a variety of agricultural buildings in Kittitas county including hundreds of historic barns suited for family fun. The oldest barn on the barn quilt trail is the Dominion Barn, which is currently being utilized as a gorgeous garden shop, perfect for gardening and plant enthusiats!
One Hundred beautiful quilt blocks have been installed throughout the county!
100 and still counting!
BARN QUILTS TRAIL
Kittitas County, Washington is located in a long and wide fertile valley bordered by the Cascade Mountains to the West, arid shrub steppe hills to the East and South and the Stuart Mountain Range to the North. A long sunny growing season, makes it a truly beautiful and productive place to work and live as evidenced by the abundant ranches and farms that divide up our valley like a patchwork quilt.
Photos and the history of every barn, the significance of the quilt blocks and the sponsor of the Barn Quilts will be included on this page as we complete them. Interesting stories of the builders, homesteading families and farms and ranches will be collected and included.
This is a composite photo of a Barn Quilt on one of our old barns against a background of the beautiful Stuart Mountains in Central Washington State. Yes, we really do have beautiful wild flowers blooming in the spring in Kittitas County!
HISTORY OF THE BARN QUILT MOVEMENT
Barn Quilts were first created in 2001 in Adams County, Ohio. Donna Sue Groves wanted to honor her mother, a celebrated quilter in the area, with a long promised quilt block painted on her barn. With the help of friends and volunteers, the Barn Quilt blocks spread to 20 the following year. That small art project planted the seeds for a continental movement. At last count there are now 42 states with over 4000 Barn Quilts!
HOW ARE THE QUILT BARNS CHOSEN?
BQKC does have Barn siting criteria:
- Well-traveled, usually paved road
- Easily visible from roadway
- Barn in reasonable condition
- Vicinity of barn is tidy
- Barn host willing to sign Barn Host agreement for installation and maintenance.
- Barn owner not upset by visitors slowing or photographing Barn Quilt from roadway.
Anyone can install a painted quilt block anywhere without the BQKC organization. This criteria does not prevent them from doing so on their own.
To request a free barn quilt map to be mailed to you, click here
WHO PAINTS THE BARN QUILTS?
HOW ARE THE QUILT BLOCKS INSTALLED?
Our Barn Quilts are installed by
- Curtis Bull- Ellensburg, Wa.
- Tommy Willmart T & T Electric
- Aaron Wilson T & T Electric
- Nolan Weis- Inland Internet
- Jared Weis- Inland Internet
- Barn Quilt Volunteers on ladders & scaffolding!
BARN QUILTS MAP
- EXPLORE! Kittitas County Visitor’s Guide Online and printed guide to the area.
- MyEllensburg.com MyEllensburg.com website – event information and form downloads
- Vision Cle Elum Event schedules & Forms for historic downtown Cle Elum. “Linking Our History With Our Future”.
- Thorp Mill
- Swauk-Teanaway Grange
- Carpenter House Museum
- High Country Artists
- Kittitas County Event Center
- Western Art Association
- Northern Kittitas County Tribune Community newspaper serving Cle Elum, Roslyn, Ronald, Easton, Suncadia, Thorp and surrounding Upper Kittitas County areas.
- Reverie Ranch Retreats Quilt/Artist retreat accommodations
- Crazy for Quilts Retreat Center
- Quilting retreat accommodations
- Yarn Folk knitting supplies
- Ruby’s Printing, Scrapbooking and Things knitting, quilting, scrapbooking supplies
- Klucking Images beautiful Kittitas Valley and barn quilt photography
- CAMAH (Cascade Association of Museums and History) Collaborative site for touring museums and historical sites in and around Kittitas County.
- Gallery One
- Early Iron Club
- Experience Washington Download the mobile phone app for an auditory tour of the barn quilts based on GPS locations.
- Scenic Washington Scenic Washington suggests great road trips and get aways. We are listed as a Quirky Road Trip!
- Kittitas County Historical Museum A must see historical museum in the historic downtown district of Ellensburg.
- Thorp Grist Mill The meticulously restored Thorp Grist Mill and grounds in Thorp, Wa.
- Visit Kittitas Visit Kittitas website has complete information on all forms of outdoor recreation, dining and lodging in the beautiful Kittitas Valley!
- Swauk -Teanaway Grange This beautiful grange is the site of many community events in the Upper Kittitas County.
- Kittitas County Chamber of Commerce
- Washington State University Extension